Friday, February 3, 2017

Book Review 2016: The ones I didn't recommend

·    It was hard to narrow the list down to only 7 books, and there were a few that I had to leave off the list simply because I couldn't very well tell you to read them all.  Here are the ones that didn't make the final cut.  


·         All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. 
o   Category: WWII Fiction
o   Synopsis: Experience of living during World War II told from the perspective of two children. 
o   Recommendation: Maybe.  It’s crazy that this isn’t a definite read given that it is a wonderfully written book, and a very popular best seller.  If the genre interests you or even just to be up to speed on what is trendy to read at the moment, definitely check it out.  I think my hesitation stems from having read a number of other WWII novels (The Book Thief, Sarah’s Key, The Nightingale, etc) and not necessarily giving me something “new”.  I feel a bit disgusted for saying that about such a horrific period in our human history. 

·         Paper Towns by John Green. 
o   Category: YA Fiction
o   Synopsis: Story of a mildly dorky high school boy who has had a crush on the popular neighbor girl for years.  They were friends as young kids and grew apart as they get older and she moves into the popular clique.  They end up sharing a wild night of adventure right before high school graduation that contains some fun shenanigans and changes his life. 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I went on a John Green kick after watching and enjoying (as much as you can enjoy a movie that makes you bawl your eyes out because it’s so heartbreaking) the movie (wildly popular novel written by the same author).  There was a movie preview for Paper Towns that grabbed my attention, so I read the book and watched the movie.  There were elements I enjoyed, but overall I felt the characters were a bit too angsty about things beyond their years for being teens. 

·         Think of a Number by John Verdon. 
o   Category: Murder mystery
o   Synopsis: A private investigator is contact by an old acquaintance for help tracking down who is sending some mysterious notes.  Murder, mystery, and crime solving ensue. 
o   Recommendation: Maybe.  If you need an easy, mindless read this is a fun story with some plot twisting.  The beginning was interesting to ponder (and some of you may remember me telling the premise and asking how you would react) if you had received this strange note. 

·         Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman.  
o   Category: Memoir (I actually read the physical book!)
o   Synopsis: Memoir of two female college students from a hoity toity New England liberal arts school that decide to travel the world together after graduation in the early 1980s.  While this was definitely a story of personal growth and self-discovery, it unfurled in a way I was not expecting, with a plot line that took a dramatic turn I didn’t see coming. 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I found the author to be such a narcissistic, feminist, acting like a spoiled American that it made getting through the book a bit tedious.  Does that actually kind of make you want to read it?  I kind of want you to, so we can talk about how annoying she is.  I should caveat that I probably am forgetting what it was like being fresh out of college at 22 thinking I knew it all, being young, wanting adventure, and annoying everyone who knew what a self-absorbed twit I was—and I think it was definitely the author’s intent to convey she now realizes that too.  I also should probably give her a break since she didn’t have the luxury of Trip Advisor and a smartphone to aid her travels. 
·      
·         Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari.
o   Category: Non-fiction book about the current world of dating. 
o   Synopsis: Aziz Ansari actually did some research on how dating has changed since our grandparent’s time, what’s gotten better...and worse.  Anyone who is single or at least dated into their late 20s can relate to the laughable and sometimes tear inducing jungle that is modern dating and romance.  Aziz narrates his own audiobook which is just plain funny. 
o   Recommendation: Skip, particularly since I can’t recommend that you read every book on my list!  There wasn’t anything novel about his research or his findings.  It is good for some laughs, and you won’t regret spending time on it if you decide to check it out anyway. 

·         The Fever by Megan Abbott.
o   Category: YA Fiction
o   Synopsis: A strange, unexplained illness slowly takes over the girls, just the girls, in a high school of a small town.  There is some allusion to linking this illness to a vaccine, which I couldn’t tell if it was her commentary on the anti-vaxing trend or just a story detail. 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I read this because it was a recommendation in the Skimm newsletter I read every day.  I love the Skimm’s snarky and pointed way of keeping current events fun and consumable, so I figured I would love any book they recommended.  The premise sounded super interesting to me…and then it was just a complete let down.  I am disappointed just thinking about it and regretting wasting this much of time and yours even writing about it.

·         Lost Among the Living by Simone St. James.
o   Category: Mystery/Fiction
o   Synopsis:
o   Recommendation: Skip.  This was another Skimm recommendation, which is surprising I read another one after how much I loathed The Fever.  While it wasn’t as bad, I actually had to look up a synopsis because I couldn’t really remember.  If I read it 6 months ago and can’t ever recall enough to write a synopsis, I can’t recommend it.

·         I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.
o   Category: Thriller
o   Synopsis: Think Jason Bourne/Mission Impossible story via a book.  This would make a great movie.  I couldn’t possibly say anything more for fear of giving anything away.
o   Recommendation: Maybe.  This book won’t really make you think or change your life, but it’s pure pleasure reading.  A page turner with everything you could want: mystery, action, emotional angst, terrorist plots, saving the world, spies, national secrets. 

·         Sharp Object by Gillian Flynn.
o   Category: Mystery/Thriller
o   Synopsis:
o   Recommendation: Skip.  Gone Girl blew my mind, so I had to read some of her other books and reviews I read said readers thought this one was even better.  I enjoy any book in this genre but personally didn’t think this was the sensation that was Gone Girl.

·         The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
o   Category: Historical Fiction
o   Synopsis: Life story of a man who grew up in Mexico and ended up working for Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.  He eventually moves to the US and becomes a famous writer.  It is based on historical events (in fact, I even knew an answer to a question at Trivia Mafia because of reading this book). 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I love, love, love Barbara Kingsolver, but I admit this was not my favorite of her novels.  I am being more judicious in my “Read” recommendations so that I only give you 6 or so.  The book wasn’t terrible, I just found myself looking forward to finishing it, so I could move onto something else.  If you really like historical fiction, or interest in Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, it is an interesting story. 

·         Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.
o   Category: Horror?
o   Synopsis: Famous (but aged) heavy metal singer (I kept picturing Marilyn Manson in his 50s) interested in weird, morbid, occult collectibles buys a box supposedly containing the ghost of a deceased man on Ebay.  No surprise, the ghost haunts the protagonist and those around him.  He has to learn who this ghost is so that he may attempt to get rid of him…if he wants to save his life and those of the people around him. 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  This is a weird ass book.  I read another book by this author, Horns, during Halloween with my book club.  You may recall that the guy who played Harry Potter was the lead actor in the movie adaptation of Horns.  Anyway, all the reviews I read online and commentary from others in my book club said Heart Shaped Box was the author’s best book.  Horns was super bizarre, so I was intrigued to see if I agreed with other readers.  If you are looking for something different this is definitely “it”. 

·         Secret History by Donna Tart.
o   Category: Long winded fiction that goes on far longer than necessary (not sure how else to classify it)
o   Synopsis: Story of a group of college students enrolled in a highly selective major by an eccentric professor.  The students in the group are all eccentric as well, they take all their classes with this one professor and are almost cult like.  Something happens to the group that causes a schism and the group falls into turmoil, secrets and betrayals. 
o   Recommendation: Skip.  If you can’t tell by my category definition, I did not enjoy this book.  It was so verbose with a lot of intricate details that I didn’t find moved the story along or help me better understand what was happening or understanding the characters.  Writing this is reminding me how much I struggled through and disliked this book.  I am hesitant to read her best seller The Gold Finch based on this experience.  Blech.

·         Native Son by Richard Wright.
o   Category: Historical fiction
o   Synopsis: A young, poor black man goes to work for a wealthy, white family as their driver in Chicago during the 1930s.  His awkward interactions with the family, a terrible tragedy, and the court case that follows.  I don’t want to give anything away!
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I didn’t enjoy this book, though it would have been hard to do so given the subject matter.  Too many other good reads, but if you want to challenge yourself and open your eyes to the plight of the poor, black community prior to integration, it is worth checking out.

·           We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.
o   Category: Fiction/suspense
o   Synopsis: I loved the summary I saw online that prompted me to read it, so I’ll share that.  A beautiful and distinguished family.  A private island.  A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.  A group of four friends-the Liars-whose friendship turns destructive.  A revolution.  An accident.  A secret.  Lies upon lies.  True love.  The truth.
o   Recommendation: Skip.  Hard to envision that based on the summary above, right?  I was a bit let down by this book, although the ending was a surprise. 

·         Looking for Alaska by John Green.
o   Category: YA Fiction
o   Synopsis: Story of a mildly dorky high school boy who transfers to a boarding school and makes friends.  Something sad happens.
o   Recommendation: Skip.  See rationale for all other John Green books. 

·         Call of the Wild by Jack London.
o   Category: Fiction
o   Synopsis: I was surprised that this was narrated from the point of view of a dog.  He is kidnapped from his loving home and sent north to Alaska to pull sleds for men rushing west in search of gold.  Some of the humans he encounters are nice…others are not.    
o   Recommendation: Skip.  Only because I have to pick and choose.  This is a short book and an interesting story.  Kind of sad to read about the treatment of the animals—even among each other!

·         Light Between Oceans by ML Steadman.
o   Category: Fiction
o   Synopsis: A lighthouse keeper and his wife living on a remote island off the coast of Australia find a baby washed up on shore.  They decide to keep it after tragically losing a number of their own babies at birth or miscarriage.  Eventually, they move back to the mainland where they discover who the child belonged to, then they must decide whether to tell the truth or keep quiet.  Of course, husband and wife disagree on what to do, so add some marital trouble to the drama pot.      
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I started this book a while ago and couldn’t get into it and decided to quit reading.  I finally decided to finish it to see how it resolved.  A sad ending regardless of whose “side” you are on.   Something about it never grabbed me.

·         The Invisible Man by HG Wells.
o   Category: Fiction
o   Synopsis: A man who is literally invisible causes a ruckus about town.        
o   Recommendation: Skip.  I hated this book!  I heard it was a classic, so I thought I should read it.  Turns out there are two books of the same title.  The other is about a black man struggling through the racial divide in America.  I can see how that one may be more influential.  But I repeat, I hated this book!
·  

No comments:

Post a Comment