Friday, February 3, 2017

Book Recommendations from 2016

My book review got quite long, so I broke it into two postings....the books I decided to recommend, and the books I did not.

Of the 29 books I read in 2016, I narrowed it down to the following 7 (kind of 9 since one is a trilogy) novels:

·         Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. 
o   Category: Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse Fiction
o   Synopsis: The spread of a deadly virus wipes out 99% of the human race.  The novel tells the story of a few different characters flipping between the time leading up to the outbreak and then flash forwarding to Year 20 (the chronology of time restarts after the pandemic). 
o   Recommendation: Read!  I liked the lack of zombies in this book, and that it presented a very probable way of how easily and quickly a virus could spread, infect and wipe out a population.  What I liked even more was seeing how various characters react to the scenario, and if they survive, how they manage to do it.  Many of you may remember me talking about this book.  I actually started it in 2015, and it briefly inspired my goals for 2016 when I thought I should learn some apocalypse survival skills.  I found it an interesting conversation piece and that it provoked some personal reflection. 

·         Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. 
o   Category: Fictional Drama, borderline Young Adult (YA)
o   Synopsis: Story of a teenage girl who disappears and is found dead.  Tells her story and that of her family and their quest to find out what happened to her.
o   Recommendation: Read!  The complexity of the family dynamic and angst-y teenager feelings is very poignant and begs you to consider how we reflect our own dreams, regrets, and emotions onto those around us. 
·       
·         Leviation, Beheamoth, and Goliath by Scott Westerfeld (book triology)
o   Category: YA Science Fiction
o   Synopsis: Alternate telling of WWI with science fiction twist.  The story is told through the eyes of two teenagers, an English girl and Austrian boy, on different sides of the war, their involvement in the war, and how their stories intersect.  I love a plucky heroine and increasingly like stories of women pushing societal limits and striving for equality with men.  The way the author weaves science fiction into and also retells actual historical events adds a very fascinating element to a historical fiction. 
o   Recommendation: Read!  I adored this series, and it’s a quick YA read.  The narrator in the audiobooks is also fantastic. 
·         
·        Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
o   Category: Science Fiction (I read, and enjoyed, a lot of sci-fe this year).
o   Synopsis: Story of technology evolving to the point where we operate in virtual reality more than real life.  The description of the world seems almost apocalyptic, with the escape and majority of time spent plugged into a virtual world where you could date, play, work, go to school, etc.  That’s really just the setting.  This story is about the eccentric genius who created this virtual world, and a quest he sends people on following his death.  My description hardly does this book justice, but I also don’t want to give anything fun away.
o   Recommendation: Read!  This was a fun story and the references to and reverence for the 80s were delightful for someone who grew up in the era.

·         A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown.
o   Category: Memoir
o   Synopsis: Story of a woman who was orphaned as a child, her experience in foster care (absolutely heart breaking), becoming an alcoholic, drug addict, joining a gang, and ultimately cleaning up her life.
o   Recommendation: Read.  I rushed to the computer and signed up to learn more about being a foster parent while reading this book.  Every horrendous thing you can imagine happening to a child and consistently reinforced by our child protection services happened to this poor girl.  If this doesn’t make you want to save every kid in the system, I don’t know what will.
·           
·         The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.
o   Category: Historical fiction
o   Synopsis: Story line follows two girls into adulthood growing up in Charleston beginning in the early 1800s.  One is a wealthy white girl, daughter of a plantation owner.  The other is a slave girl working on the plantation.  Both have dreams and aspirations beyond their social standing. 
o   Recommendation: Read.  A beautiful story.  You know I love historical fiction and the tale of women doing great things. 
·      
·         Alice by Christina Henry.
o   Category: Fiction
o   Synopsis: Much darker re-telling of Alice in Wonderland.  Starts with a girl in a mental facility who claims she was raped by a rabbit.  The story unfolds from there with all the usual characters making appearances.    
o   Recommendation: Read.  I thought this book was fascinating!  It is pretty dark, but it was very interesting to see how the author changed the story line.  There is actually a sequel to this book that I downloaded right after finishing this book.

·         The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
o   Category: Fiction/historical
o   Synopsis: The story follows the lives of two French sisters during the occupation by the Nazis until the end of the war.  Family squabbling, the nasty Germans, friendship, love, war, bravery and cowardice.  This book has it all.  I don’t want to give anything away.        

o   Recommendation: Read.  I loved this book!  Again, you know I love a historical fiction about kick ass women!   

No comments:

Post a Comment