Thursday, March 30, 2017

2017 - Quarter 1 Review

It's the end of March and time to review progress on my 2017 goals for the the first quarter of the year.  Overall, I feel like I'm off to a strong start.  How are you coming along in your resolutions?!

  • Maintain savings goals for retirement 15%, vacations $200/month, and mid term savings $500/month.  Check.  I'm also trying to cut back on my discretionary spending, so I can save a bit more now that I might be purchasing a new home in a competitive market.
  • House remodel.  
    • Kitchen backsplash.  Tile has been selected...but not ordered or installed.
    • Fireplace reface. Stone removed, wiring for sconces complete, new cement board installed, taped, mudded and sanded.  I believe painting the walls in the area happens tomorrow.
    • Lighting in living room. Done!  Overhead lighting is so much better than a couple wimpy lamps!
    • Flooring in main floor.  Next project after the fireplace is done.
  • Other house projects.
    • New vanity for 1/2 bath.  On the docket after flooring is replaced.
    • Close 2nd floor laundry shoot opening.  No progress.
    • New light fixture for dining room.  Purchased and waiting installation.
    • Entryway closets?  Undecided if I'm going to try getting Pinteret-y on this.
  • Real estate and insurance license CE.  15 hours (100% of requirement) of Real Estate CE completed.  Ordered study materials for some insurance credits. 
  • Read 18 books.  I tackled Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged in February, so I'm a little behind pace on reading for the year.  I've completed 4 so far and am 75% through the 5th.
  • Donate 4.5% to charity (increasing from 4.25% last year). On pace.
  • Cook at home more, waste less food, eat healtier (I am not going to carry over eating out less because I love it and that's a social activity I enjoy with many friends = money well spent!)  Melissa and I have started taking turns cooking meals, and we ate at home every night last week and all but one this week.
  • Lose 10 lbs...will try this one again. So I think a gained a pound or two since the beginning of the year, BUT I started Body Boss 12 week workout program this week and have exercised 3 days in a row this week.  I am also eating a bit healthier.  
  • Hike highest peaks in 4 states.  Jan-Mar is not the right time of year to visit the peaks, but I did just book a work trip in May where I will have time to do PA, MD, and WV.  I should also be able to visit VA later this summer, and I'm researching an east coast trip to Boston and would take a few days to hit MA, CT, NJ, and RI.  
  • Take downhill ski lessons.  I have a ski trip for work in Steamboat at the end of February.  I need to learn how to ski!  We didn't have enough snow for much skiing here in MN, but I did take a great lesson in Steamboat on the first day of the ski trip.  My second day out on the mountain was a complete cluster...but that is a story for another day.  I like skiing a lot though and would like to do more of these trips next winter.
  • Golf weekly June - September; take golf lesson re-fresher.  Discussed lessons with Andrew.
  • Improve posture Um...I think about my posture more and try to correct myself when I realize I'm slouching.  Lumo Lift is currently MIA...
    • Wear Lumo lift tracker
  • Do yoga once a week -- help with posture, reduce stress, improve flexibility  Not going weekly, but I have been a few times.  I loved multiple people asking me on the same day if I had been working out after going ONE time to yoga.  It works people!
  • Clean out closet.  Get rid of clothes that no longer fit, I don't love.  Be more thoughtful about clothing purchases to build a better wardrobe.  I donated a few bags in January, but you can't tell.  This will be part of a spring cleaning.  Also, as the seasons end, anything that I still can't fit into will finally be taken out.  Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment