A few highlights about this peak. Mount Elbert is the highest peak in Colorado and is over 14,000 feet in elevation, which makes it the 3rd highest peak in the US. I did a 14er with Mary a few years ago (Mount Bierstadt) and while it was difficult, we made it. I figured this would be the same. Oh so wrong. This hike was a beast! The 2 mile "walk" to get from the parking area to the trail head along was the hardest hike I have ever done.
Poor Cherie was such a good sport when every 2 steps (that, sadly, is not an exaggeration) I had to stop to rest, get some water, and some trail mix. I blame myself for being a fat ass and out of shape (btw, I'm eating a donut right now to reinforce this statement and truth), but I do think another day to acclimate to the altitude would have helped...a little. Unfortunately, I did not make it to the top of this peak, so that begs the question of whether doing any portion of the hike counts or if I have to attempt this beast again sometime in the future. (Please say doing a portion counts!!!)
You will not see Mary pictured here because 2 days before we arrived in Denver, she found out she was prego with the cutie pie that is now Miss Kelly Reed!
I vote give it another go so I can come with you!
ReplyDelete