Monday, July 21, 2014

Living Well Spending Less

I came across a blog called Living Well Spending Less by Ruth (a self proclaimed sneaker wearin, Jesus lovin, mother of two).  I didn't need to read much of it to determine that 1) Ruth and I have little in common and 2) my adoption of Carolina Rose (see post from 7/20/2014) would have fallen way outside of everything she believes in and blogs about.  For the record: Carolina Rose, I do not regret you one iota.

However, I could probably definitely make some progress in the realm of enjoying non-materialistic things, declining the mall's many temptations, and saving far more than I do.  Mama Ruth has a 31 day challenge of spending zero...this sounds like a great idea...to do someday...in the future.

Seriously though, I think this would be a good money cleanse for me, but I know I won't be setting myself up for success if I started right now.  I will revisit this idea in full come the fall.  Here is a link to her webpage, by the way, if you want to check it out.  http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/31-days/livingwellspendingzero/

What I really love about this challenge is she gives you a task or suggestion of something to do every day instead of going out to spend cash money.  Admittedly, most of them are not fun.  I even slightly question if the idea is to do all the awful things you hate at once and get it over with, but she provides a good list of items to focus on and leave you feeling accomplished (and some of them will result in you not needing to spend as much).

Week 1 is all about food and cutting back on this expense.  She challenges you to go through your pantry and eat up what you have on hand rather than going out to buy more (seemingly for as long as you can).  I got a laugh at this as I looked through my food stocks; I feed only myself and have a fairly small kitchen so don't keep a ton of food around the house.  The only thing different about my fridge and a college frat boy's is that I have way more condiments than beer, and a bag of freezer burned Market Pantry frozen berries instead of pizza.

If forced to survive on the contents of my current pantry, I would be eating panko every day adorned with any variety of condiments (ketchup, mayo, salad dressing, syrup, tahini, soy sauce, siracha, sweet chili paste, salsa, sour cream, sesame oil, marinades, etc).  Seriously, where did all this flipping panko come from?!

If you are feeling sorry for me and my fridge, good!  Invite me over for dinner (then I won't have to spend money).

I'll bring the panko.      

1 comment: