Thursday, July 17, 2014

Remember when...

...I decided to learn how to make "the best mojito ever" one summer and dubbed myself "Micki the Mojito Maker"?  If you recall, I bought a mint plant, over watered it, thereby killing it within about 7 days.  A more apt moniker for that venture would have been "Micki the Black Thumb" but there's zero alliteration there, and really where is the fun without alliteration?!   After the mint plant debacle, my quest sort of hit a dead end.  I don't even really remember drinking many mojitos as "research" that summer, though that sounds like something I would have earnestly tried to pass off as a legitimate stepping stone to the end result and a hell of a lot more fun than muddling actual mint leaves.  Still, it was a glorious time in my 20s, something I still talk about (usually leaving out the part about how I never actually made a single mojito), and others marginally recall this moment.  So it is naturally the perfect name for my blog!  Plus, why waste such great alliteration?

P.S. Spell check is apparently uncomfortable with my frequent use of the word "mojito" as it's the only word highlighted.  Don't be such a teetotaler, Google.  It's not like I'm talking about giving shots of Everclear to babies as an alternative to vaccinations.

Forget the PS stuff, this post is so not over.  Remember Everclear?!  I had to do a quick check to make sure it was a legit thing because I don't think I've actually ever had it (feeling like a writing genius that this actually is still tying into my original post, however loosely, and appearing to have an actual thesis).  Back to Everclear.  Urban Dictionary describes one shot as "feeling like you are being stabbed in the throat".  Ah, remember when that description was awesome and no matter how revolting it was as long as it got you drunk, fast and cheap, it was the obvious favorite?  Now, it sounds downright terrifying.

Interestingly, MN is one of only 14 states that allow the sale of Everclear.  We don't allow liquor stores or car dealerships to even be open on Sundays, but we have no problem selling battery acid as a beverage that even a state as backwards as Mississippi has outlawed (no offense, Mississippi).  One of life's many mysteries...

P.S. Attempt #2: Is it sad that the band was not in the first few Google results of an everclear search? Show some respect.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUfgAbFY4CA



No comments:

Post a Comment