I just read an article titled "A Better Way to Introduce Your
Friends at Parties" (I'll post the link at the end of this post if you
want to read the inspiration for my post). The basic gist is too often we
meet and know amazing people, and the common practice is to talk about what
work and professions. This is my friend, Micki, she works in insurance. The
article goes on to say this can be difficult for people that don't have
exciting jobs to talk about new celebrities having clothing lines at Target or
how you found a package of oreos stuck between the folds of fat of an obese
woman who came to the clinic (both true stories). Aside: has anyone else
noticed that I talk about oreos a lot in my posts? I think I should have
a new corporate sponsor knocking on my door. You're welcome, Nabisco.
I can feel that pain as insurance doesn't
inspire a lot of interest in diving into a conversation about deductibles and
coverage exclusions--I don't even want to talk about that! The author of
this article has a wonderful friend who is a meeting planner, great at her job,
but it's not that interesting to talk about with new people, so the author
thinks it's time to start introducing friends to new people for the wonderful
parts of their characteristics. Got me to thinking about how I would
introduce some of my friends...the following are in order of who I believe to
be my most dedicated readers.
Elizabeth: This is my friend, Liz.
Her eyes light up when she laughs, and she makes you want to get laughs
out of her all the time because she makes you feel like the funniest person
alive. I am also waiting for the day when her kids are old enough for me
to introduce her as the mom of the kids running around with the kool-aid mustaches. (That is her own description of the kind of
mom she will be! Totally for show though
as she is a great mama).
Mary: This is my friend, Mary. She is THE best “Would you rather…” question
maker in the entire world. She has an
amazing knack for being passionate about things that don’t seem cool, and then,
suddenly, you are eating Spam sushi and bragging to other people about how
great Spam is. She makes the best inside
jokes, and in general makes every experience you have with her fun and
memorable.
Ann: This is my friend, Ann, whose nickname is Ewok; that’s
cool right there. I love that Ann is
totally comfortable in her own skin and loves to be silly. She unapologetically owns eating her lunch
before 11am, goes to bed earlier than my Grandma, and asks her husband if he wants to leave the
room because she is about to do something ridiculous that will probably embarrass
him but be hilarious for the rest of us.
She also can tell you what kind of mechanical bull you are about to ride
(a Holstein in my most recent experience).
Cherie: This is my friend, Cherie. She is the most down to earth, level headed
person I have ever met. When in doubt,
ask yourself What Would Cherie Do? She
always has great advice, a sympathetic ear, a thoughtful comment, and never
judges. She is amazing at remembering
birthdays and sending cards in the mail that arrive ON TIME, and the most
dedicated friend. It always amazes me how
good she is at keeping in touch, phone calls, visits with so many friends.
Annie: This is my friend, Annie. We’ve been friends since middle school; she
is my bestie, “my person”, and my partner in crime (sometimes literally). Annie has a wonderful adventurous spirit and
is always up for anything, which has led us to many random parties, events,
games, and places…mostly good. If I ever
want to do something, and I can’t find anyone else to check it out with me;
Annie is there and ready to rock. She
makes the best out of every situation, and in general, makes me appear way more
fun that I really am.
Anna: This is my friend, Anna. She is one of my newest friends, and one that
I hope will become a very close, long term staple in my life. Anna is fascinating to talk with about any
topic; she always has thoughtful and intelligent insights. Anna is also very honest and open, willing to
share and talk about the hard stuff, and accept things and people the way they
are blemishes and all. She also has a
wardrobe and accessories to envy, and makes a killer pie.
Could share lots more wonderful things about my friends, but just
touched on the ones who I think actually read my blog! ; )
P.S. If you aren't in this list, but are a regular blog follower, please let me know!
P.S. If you aren't in this list, but are a regular blog follower, please let me know!
You're so nice. What a fun read!
ReplyDeleteThis is my friend Micki. She is the hardest worker and biggest go-getter that I know. It's downright inspirational. She's generous, smart, fun, a great listener, and super hilarious when you least expect it. Someday, she is going to retire off the awesome and funny dating book that she's writing.
ReplyDelete