Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New Budget

The townhouse purchase is officially a go!  That means I need to find extra money in my monthly budget for housing projects.

This is what I think I can realistically make happen in my "discretionary expenses" for the remainder of 2014.

Food & Drink: $575 -- this sounds like an insane amount for one person, but I go out to eat a lot and am always making meals for iron chef and book clubs and stocking up on wine.  This adds up really fast when I factor in dating.  Do I over-prioritize food related spending, or does everyone find themselves spending this much?!  This is definitely a category to work on and find extra money if I need it.

Clothes and Beauty: $290 -- this also sounds like a lot but a $65 haircut every quarter, $30 brow and $60 bikini waxes, $35 pedicure, Rodan + Fields skin care regimen, and a Stitch Fix purchase here and there adds up fast.  Are these NEEDS??  Definitely not, but I want to do them.

Entertainment: $175 -- Netflix, gym, golfing, movies, pedal pubs, shows, books, scrapbooking, etc

Gifts: $50 -- basically covers a birthday, baby shower or wedding gift every month.  Gonna rely on babysitting from now through December to cover Christmas gifts.

Charity: $100 -- I already posted about my charitable donations goals

Other: $100 -- Target runs, parking meters, and other random stuff that comes up

Total: $1,290

Ugh, that still seems like a lot!  What's really gross is my spending habits were way more than that before!  Feel free to throw out suggestions on how you've successfully cut back, and of course feel free to tell me my budget is totally whack.

I started this budget in September and did really well.  No gifts or charitable contributions this month, plus a whole week of babysitting covering food and prohibiting me from doing anything other than cater to children made it pretty successful.  Instead of $1,290 I only spent $1,140!

No comments:

Post a Comment