Tuesday, May 5, 2015

High Pointer

As some of you know, I decided last summer that I want to hike the highest peak in each state.  I crossed Minnesota and Wisconsin off that list last year.  Not gonna lie, Wisconsin's was pretty weak by comparison, but I guess they have the Packers and Badgers so it evens out.

This year I'm planning to do at least 6.  Becca and I just booked a Memorial weekend trip where we will fly into Atlanta and then drive north to hike Georgia's highest peak, Brasstown Bald.  From there we will hit Clingman's Dome in Tennessee, Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, and finally Sassafras Mountain in South Carolina before flying back home.  All these peaks are located in the Smoky Mountains and about 2-3 hours drive from each other.  It will be a busy weekend of hiking and mini road tripping.

Cherie and I also just booked tickets to visit Mary, Chris and Robinson in Denver in early August.  Us girls are going to tackle Colorado's highest peak during the trip--a whopping 14er called Mount Elbert.

I am also hoping to get to Illinois and Iowa this summer.  Illinois is actually on private land (the only one of the 50 states, I believe), so there are limited weekends when high pointers are allowed to do their thing.

Actually, Liz, I may have to add Arkansas to my list as Signal Hill in Mount Magazine State Park is only 2 hours from your soon to be new home.  Let me know when I can come visit!

1 comment: