Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Resolutions - Mid Year Check In

Sacre bleu*!  2015 is half over already.

*Unimportant side note: I looked up the spelling of Sacre bleu and found out this is not even a word French people use; American's have made it a "stereotypical" French curse word.  The direct quote from urban dictionary is "Sacre bleu is very American and lame.  Try using 'merde' instead [if you actually want to offend someone in French]."

Anyway, the point of this post was supposed to be a mid year check in on progress of 2015 goals/resolutions posted in "Welcome 2015" on 1/5/15.  My list is repeated below along with comments indicating my progress (or lack thereof in some instances):

  • Save $X for retirement
    • On track; pretty easy one when it's all automated to come out of my paycheck every month
  • Abbott Lane projects: remodel upstairs bathrooms, new washer & dryer, redo fireplace
    • Both bathrooms have been re-tiled and have new vanities and toilets
    • I have a real estate commission coming in a couple weeks that is earmarked for the washer/dryer
    • Zero progress on the fireplace project, but that's what the next 6 months are for
    • I should have also added landscaping to this list of projects; it is especially nice to mention this now as all the landscaping has been done: hostas transplanted along the back side of the house, two new shrubs, morning glories, herbs, and veggies are growing strong.  One of my neighbors even flagged me down as I left for work to tell me how much improved the yard looks since I bought it.  Nice!  
  • Pay Dad for Abbott Lane work and pay off Citi card for Abbot renovation expenses
    • Credit card paid off
    • Owe Dad only $500 more
  • Sell 3 houses (total sales of $745,000)
    • Facilitator; 6414 Jewel Lane
    • Buyer side; 11609 Elmwood
    • Seller side; 8413 W 97th (pending close on July 6th)
  • Complete CPCU 530 Business Law 
    • Haven't even cracked open the book; needs to be completed before year end though
  • Complete 15 hours RE continuing education
    • Due 6/30 and completed a bit ahead of time; took an interesting online close about selling to your sphere of influence
  • Complete X hours for insurance license continuing education
    • CPCU 530 course will satisfy this
  • Lose 6 pounds (currently at 138 lbs)
    • No progress; well maybe some progress, I got "serious" about sticking to my calorie budget and that endeavor resulted in gaining 2 pounds in one week.  I'm back to 138ish so I sort of lost 2 pounds.  Anyone buying that??!?!?
  • Get to work by 8:45am with goal of 8:30am (been coming in 9am-9:30am and that is not ok)
    • I rocked at this for like 2 weeks, and now I'm mostly back to 9am although I was here before 9 yesterday and at 8:40am today.  Room for improvement.
  • Work out before work.  There is no reason I don't have time to work out in the morning if I'm not getting to work until 9am.  
    • In the first 181 days of 2015, I have worked out before work exactly 1 time.  Katie and I went for a walk one morning before work.  I felt really good about it and often THINK about doing it again.
  • Prioritize fitness/health before social and fun activities.  My excuse for not working out is usually that I don't have time.  Happy hours, shopping, dinners, etc are important for maintaining relationships, but not more important than my health and self esteem about looking the way I want.
    • Clearly room for improvement since I haven't lost any weight.  I have definitely been working out more, and I even made Katie walk to/from the bar last time we went out for drinks and fun.  
  • Floss regularly.  I just don't do it, but it's easy and doesn't take long.  
    • I think I've flossed about 4 times this year.  I know, I'm gross.  
  • Donate 3% of income to charity.  Missed this one last year and have a lot of expenses with the house, so keeping this goal same as 2014.  To aid in this process, I have also chosen the charities and the amounts I will donate which months to make the budgeting easier.
    • Ragom, ASPCA, Susan G Komen, Second Harvest Heartland, Nepal EQ Relief, YMCA, BSM and MPR have all been recipients of my generosity so far in 2015.  I am at 1.61% of salary so far, a little more than halfway and feel good about that.
  • Read 15 books 
    • I've read 7 books so far and #8 is in progress.
    • Horns, Wild, Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, Less than Zero, American Pastoral, This Bright River, The Innocents, and Girl on the Train.
    • I would only fervently  recommend the Diary of a Part Time Indian one
  • Stay up to date on current events
    • Anna was correct in challenging me that this was not a SMART goal (not very specific ore measurable)
    • I subscribe to and read the Skimm Monday - Friday (not always on time, but I read every email)
    • Listen to MPR more often than KDWB when I'm in the car
    • Subscribed to the Medical Liability Monitor at work to keep abreast of Med Mal news
How about you?  Are you sticking to the goals you made?  Is it time to dust them off an recommit for the second half of 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment