Saturday, January 2, 2016

Goals for 2016

Lots of repeats from last year.  Being an adult is kind of boring sometimes.


  • Save for retirement: Keep up the 10% of every paycheck and maxing out the Roth IRA.  I hope to increase my percentage contribution next year to 11% and work my way up to contributing the maximum allowed.  More fun things to save/spend money on right now...I'm sure that will change in the future, right?!
  • Kitchen and Main Floor remodel.  I think this will take $20K for cabinets, counters, appliances, flooring, and labor.  The fireplace and light fixtures will be extra, but I think starting with the kitchen and flooring throughout is enough for one year.
  • Other house projects: rain barrel for the yard, finish painting doors and trim in basement, and put on new door knobs in the basement.
  • Real estate and insurance license CE
  • PMP certification: I mildly flirt with the idea of changing careers and thinking having a certification in project management could be helpful.  I registered to take the classes online and will try to get through that this year.  
  • Read 15 books
    • 1st book under way already.  Station Eleven.
  • Donate 4.25% to charity (increasing from 3% last year) and set main charities up as a monthly contribution rather than donating one lump sum.  RAGOM, ASPCA, Second Harvest Heartland, YMCA, BSM, MPR, FMSC, Library, and Adopt a Family.  Leves me with a few hundred throughout the year for events that come up, friends doing walks or other fundraisers, etc.
  • Apocalypse Survival Skills: this is being generated from reading my current book.  It is a story about 98% of the human race being wiped out by a massive flu.  While reading I realized I know how to do nothing and would not survive very long and would be a liability to anyone I wanted to survive along with.  I did some research online about skills one would need to survive post apocalypse.  The list includes: hunting and processing your kill, food preservation, black-smithing, construction, farming and gathering, emergency and alternative/natural medicine, alternative fuels, masonry, music making, etc.  Basically, I read this list and decided I would rather die than try to survive post the apocalypse.  It just sounds way too hard and a lot of work, expense, or not very interesting to me to even practice some of these things.  I am concerned this says some not very good things about my personality.  I am not Annie Makepeace or Sara Bryan, and I am so thankful we live in a society where some people will think highly of me for being able to admit, accept, and share that I would be a complete disaster and do not deserve to survive an apocalypse.  I'm hoping for some redemption in the form of if I manage to survive this apocalypse (which, to be honest is not likely anyway), I will volunteer myself to be killed and eaten for the survival of my companions--I will be the most tasty and tender of our friends with the extra lbs didn't lose and gained in 2015.  We all win in at scenario.
  • Even though survival skills are out for 2016, I am still interested in self improvement and will pick a few things that I would like to be able to say I can do as a well adjusted, successful 34 year old human that lives in a metro area.
    • Own a pizza cutter and a meat thermometer.  Apparently these are kitchen staples that I currently lack.
    • Prepare and cook a multi-course, fancy meal--like a Thanksgiving/Christmas meal
    • Learn how to grill
    • Pare down my closet to clothes that fit well, I love, and work together -- a capsule wardrobe essentially  Decided to scratch this one as I don't want to allocate money to this venture that would take away from the kitchen remodel and travel this year
    • How to apply fake eyelashes
    • How to make cheese (from one of those little kits)
  • Cook at home more, eat out less, and not waste food
  • Lose 10 lbs...will try this one again. Maybe my goal should just be to not gain MORE weight?
  • Buy an at home spray tan kit and learn how to use it.  Any guinea pigs want to volunteer?
  • Become a master at Turbo Kick: this is a Chalene Johnson at home workout that I took in person and loved.  It's impossible to find a class in the cities, so I bought the at home DVD. Eventually I'd love to take the class to get certified and maybe teach at my new gym, but I gotta start with doing the DVD routines and getting in better shape.
  • Hike highest peaks in 4 states
    • Arkansas (when I visit Liz!)
    • Iowa (just a matter of doing a day trip)
    • TBD on the other two.  Will probably try to work something in on a work trip or other venture as things come up during the year.
What are your goals and resolutions?  Am I missing anything?


No comments:

Post a Comment