Monday, August 18, 2014

It's all well and good

I had to share this OK Cupid email I got this weekend.  To preface this email correspondence I received, you need to know that there are a lot of grammar snobs in the world of online dating (I'm one of them).  Things like the difference between there, their, and they're stand out like a sore thumb to us, so much so that often we can't even focus on the rest of the message.  That said, here is a snippet from my online profile (mind you, I'm attempting to be funny):

"I should put that in my list of stuff I'm good at.  Um, I mean at which I'm good.  For those turned off by poor grammar, where is the line between educated and stuffy?  I feel like "at which I'm good" errs to the pretentious end of the spectrum and am fine with ending my conversational sentences in a preposition while chatting or here and there on an online dating profile.  Judge me as you will."

Now that you know that, here is the email I received from kcf666 in Monticello (age 29):

"Well, I think the grammatically correct phrase you're looking for is stuff at which you're well at.  That's the proper way to say it.  My teachers always told me two things, "94% of the time you should switch the word good with well."  The second thing they always told me was to "stop talking about Ninja Turtles and do your work."  
So, you're reading those game of thrones books?  Those are the books based on that TV show, right?  I hear that show is really well, but I don't watch it.
I'd love to get to know you better, we should chat sometime, I think we would get along good! 
Have a great day.  : )
Are you freaking kidding me kcf666?  You still end the sentence in a preposition, and add an additional grammar error by changing good to well?  I know how to say it correctly; I said it correctly in my profile!  Despite remembering that 94% rule you, managed to use both well and good incorrectly 100% of the times you wrote either word in this email.  Touche on the Ninja Turtles comment; that was really funny.  Yes, those are the books based on the TV show; don't you love when all these authors decide to steal ideas from TV shows and write whole books about them?!  I almost did not notice the run on sentence you wrap up with because I was laughing so hard at the idea of us "getting along good".

Dear blog readers, please do not hate me for poking fun at this email.  I am sure he is a nice guy, and he gets major points for being funny and managing to write an email saying more than "hey whats up?" as those are usually the kind of messages that adorn my OKC inbox.  I am also sure the education system in Monticello does better than this 94% of the time.

I am tempted to respond asking if this was a joke?  If so, he is very witty and totally my style, except for the whole Monticello, beard, overweight thing.  He is a ginger though...  Should I give this man a chance?!



No comments:

Post a Comment