Tuesday, September 16, 2014

List-a-holic

I love lists, especially to-do lists.  As a kid (and by kid, I mean into my college years), I would make out a list that was really more of a schedule for the day to cross things off as I did them--these lists would often be mostly things like 8am-9am wake up, brush teeth, get ready for class, 9:15am-11am go to class, etc.  The satisfaction of looking at a list of items that are all crossed off meant everything to me, even if it wasn't something that required a reminder on the to-do list (going to the bathroom and teeth brushing isn't really an accomplishment after the age of 3).

I have managed to mature my to-do lists to actual things that should/need to be done and not just basic bodily functions (although, I have been known to throw myself a bone now and then when I'm not making progress on the real items).  I find I enjoy the sense of accomplishment at seeing a list with everything crossed off, and it helps me see how I'm spending my time.  Helps can quickly turn into loathe when I have a to do list with nothing crossed off because I wasted my evening watching back to back to back episodes of "30 Rock" on Netflix.  Which leads me to the other reasons I love lists: it often helps me budget/plan my time AND encourages me to make multiple lists!

Typically, I will have 4-5 lists going at anyone time.  A long term list of stuff to accomplish by 35, a list of goals for the year, and a list of more immediate to-dos in the next month or so, which I might break that into a smaller list of what I can get done in one week, and I may even break that down into a list for the day.  Does this explain everything you suspected about my crazy personality?!

You may be surprised to know that the only electronic version of listing that I like is on an excel spreadsheet, otherwise good old paper and pen is my fave mode for list making.  I know there are so many apps and online planners, but I just don't really like them or get the same sense of satisfaction pushing a button as crossing that sucker out.

Does everyone make lists?  Am I weird or is that normal, adult behavior (maybe not the 3-5 lists at one time and definitely not the "waking up" tasks) but long term goals or short term to-dos?  Does anyone hate lists?  This blog entry is reminding me that Annie gave me a book from Patina that is a place just to record lists of stuff (and that is why she is my bestie; she totally gets me)--and you know something crazy, I love it so much that I don't want to ruin it by actually writing in it!  How much sense does that NOT make?

My blog today was inspired by stumbling across an article headline titled "8 Lists Everyone Should Make".  To be honest, I thought most of them were pretty lame (probably because I already have most of them made and living in my trusty excel spreadsheet or Netflix or Goodreads and thus do not actually get 8 new ideas for lists to make, nor will any of them--except #8 change my life).  I did really enjoy #8 and do this inadvertently by adding a new tab in my spreadsheet.  It's a good reminder to go back and revisit the things I've accomplished over the years.

1. Cities and countries you want to visit
2. Restaurants you want to try
3. Movies you want to see
4. Books you want to read
5. TV shoes you want to watch
6. Short term goals
7. Long term goals
8. Done list -- keeping a done list is just as important as making and sticking to the goals.  The done list is for you to see how much you've done.  You can organize them by month and year to see how much you're able to get done.  Eventually, you'll have a long list of achievements that you'll be able to show off.  Always be proud of your accomplishments.

I'll spend the rest of the week sharing details of these 8 lists with you--lucky you!  And of course would love to hear what's on your list or other ideas for lists that you think I will enjoy (and I will enjoy them)!



1 comment:

  1. Love my lists too! And especially love using a red sharpie to cross it out.
    We use gmail and work and I use their Task list because then it comes with nice little boxes to check off next to each. But again, preferring paper and crossing out, I print the list. Then I can add to it as the week goes on. And when it gets out of hand, I update the electronic one and print out a new one.

    ReplyDelete