Wednesday, September 10, 2014

LuluLemon Wants to Know


A friend of mine decided to apply for a part-time/seasonal position at lulu (for the discount) and told me they had some really interesting questions in their application.  They are really fun questions, so I wanted to share them and my answers with my blogging community.  I will say I don't find them terribly relevant to the skills needed to fold t-shirts and run a cashier, but they are still interesting to think about.  Would love if you wanted to share what your response to some of these would be too!

A goal you've achieved that you're proud of (Personal, Professional or Health)?
Paying off my student loans by age 30.  I paid for most of college myself, and I worked my hiney off at multiple jobs days, nights and weekends in my 20s to pay that debt off.  Making that last payment on December 28th, 2010 was the best Christmas present ever.  For comments on the health goals I've "achieved", please see my Fitness Journey posts.

How have you elevated someone from mediocrity to greatness?
I haven’t, but I once fabricated a really great answer to a question like this when I was interviewed by Target.  I told them I worked on a group project where we each had to write a portion of a paper.  We all exchanged drafts with the other members of our group for review and edits before turning in the final.  One chick in our group rushed to do her portion before heading off for a weekend trip.  It totally sucked, so I re-wrote it with some input from the others in the group.  What I told Target was that I started to re-write it and decided to go back to her and give her a chance to spend more time on it and coached her into making a better work project herself.  I did not tell them we still got a C. 

How will you elevate lululemon?
Don’t care.  I like Athleta clothes better.

How would you spend an ideal day off with no financial limits?
My ideal day would definitely involve a getaway with my girlfriends (Peru crew, IC crew plus Liz B, Anna, Tara, Becca, and Andrew of course) making breakfast and chatting.  A hike of some kind in the with a picnic lunch; I’m picturing us in Denver.  Late afternoon spa treatments followed by an amazing meal with wine pairings on a patio with no mosquitos and those cute bistro lighting dangling over head.

If you could high five anyone, who would it be and why?
Oprah.  What hasn’t that woman done?  Worked hard to become super successful when she started with very little, showed compassion and strength in hosting her talk show and bringing attention to a multitude of topics for years, been a real woman who struggles with her appearance and juggling a personal life and career, donated time and money to charitable organizations, started an amazing book club, inspires women that you can have it all and she can still laugh at and not take herself too seriously.  She totally kicks ass.

Tell me a quote you live by:
This is not what I would tell lulu, but I am obsessed right now with a quote from Jack on Will & Grace: “Well, I don’t want to be an adult anymore.  It’s very hard.”

Other than that silly quote, I have always loved this quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi.  A good reminder that individually we can make a difference and that we should take actions that inspire ourselves and others to create the world in which we wish to live.

What are you most passionate about?
Real estate.  I love looking at houses online, in person, buying them, selling them, negotiating, decorating, renovating.  It’s a great outlet for creativity, wealth building, and physical labor.  I learn something new in every transaction.

What do you want to be remembered for?
Honestly, I want to be remembered for making a difference in someone’s life or our society as a whole.  I don’t think I’ve found the right avenue just yet but continually want to work toward a better future for myself and others.

What gets you up in the morning?
I am not a morning person, so my alarm and knowing I have commitments gets me up in the morning!  I live for the sense of accomplishment at crossing things off my to-do list every day and enjoying time with my friends/family.

What is the theme song of your life?
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.  Kidding!  I guess it’s hard to deny that ‘Hey Mickey’ is my anthem, although I don’t think the lyrics and meaning of the song have much to do with me.

What is your favorite way to sweat?
Being outside—hiking or biking.  I do enjoy a toasty warm yoga room on a cold winter’s day too. : )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us.

    chip wilson

    ReplyDelete