Thursday, January 22, 2015

Minneapolis is too damn small

My friends are excellent scouts for potential love interests on my behalf--particularly making note of ginger bachelors.  A few years ago my friend, Annie, met a tall, red head while playing in a Badger alumni softball tourney.  I'm not sure how many people were part of that event, but she came back from it all excited to tell me about this great potential love connection she discovered.  His name was Adam.

As it turns out, I had already made out (on a diving board at some random party) with Adam a couple years prior.  We dated briefly, but he was very boring, and at that stage of life I was always out partying and drunkenly making out with randos on the dance floor, on the hood of a car, or really any object laying around (case in point, the diving board).  I couldn't be bothered to commit.  Are we all nodding sagely, in unison about why I'm still single in my 30s?

Quick reader participation: please leave a comment including the strangest place you've ever made out!

So Annie's big discovery was a non-starter.  In other fun facts, he was also my friend, Dan's, freshman year college roommate at Madison.  Annie's team also consisted of another guy I dated in the past; he broke up with me after 3 months because he wanted to be free to hook up with European chicks on his upcoming vacation with his buddy.  Are we all glad, in unison that I'm still single in my 30s when that was the potential?

Fast forward in time to January 2015.  My co-worker, Laura, was at a continuing education class for her insurance license this week and sent me a funny text that her instructor was cute and smart and if she wasn't sitting in the front row, she would totally take a pic of him to send me to gauge my interest.  We had fun joking about that.  Today Laura tells me she did pull the trigger and email said instructor to ask if he was single and open to being set up with one of her colleagues (read: me).  He said yes, so she wanted to know if she should send him my contact info or if I wanted to initiate contact.  Like any pair of mature women, we immediately went to Facebook and LinkedIn to find his pic and get more dirt on him.  I saw that he had a masters degree in HR from the U of MN, so I copied his linked profile page and sent it to my friend, Becca, who got the same degree there in the past year asking if she knew him, was he a nice guy, etc.

Becca emails me back and says she doesn't know him from school, but that someone tried to set her up with him this past fall.  Wha???  Minneapolis can not be this small.  What are the chances?  I have officially outgrown the potential dating pool in this city.  Where else is there to look when alumni softball games of schools I did NOT attend and insurance continuing education classes are only full of people I've already date or have been set up with my only other single friend?

As this story turns out, both he and Becca started seeing someone very shortly after their email introduction was made, so they never ended up meeting or going out.  I guess that still makes him fair game and not sloppy seconds, not that I am above sloppy seconds.  Or thirds even.  

1 comment:

  1. Between you, Becca, and Andrew, is there anyone in Mpls you don't know?!

    ReplyDelete