Friday, January 9, 2015

Scolded

Long story short: I had a romantic getaway to Florida planned for this weekend with Mark.  I came down with the flu the day before we were supposed to leave, so we decided to cancel our trip.  I called Delta to explain what happened and asked if I could cancel the ticket because I'm sick and get credit (not a refund) to apply to a ticket in the future.  Delta said ok we'll give you credit and cancel your ticket, but we are charging you a $200 change fee UNLESS you can provide a note and contact information for your doctor verifying you are in fact sick with influenza.  

I feel like all I've heard from my doctor friends and the news about influenza is the following:
  • it is a virus, it has to run its course, doctor can't provide an Rx (unless it turns into pneumonia or something bacterial)
  • influenza is epidemic this year because the flu shot this year was the wrong strain
  • medical facilities are over run with people coming in with flu symptoms and they can't do anything for them
  • given all the above, don't go to the doctor for the flu--you'll just get other people sick and be miserable in a waiting room instead of your comfy bed
I thought it was lame of Delta to charge such a high fee (that's practically the cost of the plane ticket!), juvenile to be willing to waive the fee with a doctors note like I'm some lying child (trust me, no Minnesotan is going to cancel a warm weather getaway in January unless they are REALLY sick), irresponsible for them to enforce a policy that is not in the best interest of the health of the wider community, and a complete waste of healthcare resources and dollars.

So I sent my doc an email this morning asking if she'd back up my influenza without actually making me come in, and then I wrote a Yelp review expressing my displeasure with Delta's policy.  Shortly after posting my one star review of this experience, I got a note from another Yelper.  It's copied below, did I deserve that?  I guess he has a point, but I think he's an ass.  And I still think Delta's policy is dumb.  So there.

"You're a bit of an idiot.  You made an agreement when you bought the ticket.  Don't blame Delta because you bought an extra-cheap ticket that was non-changable.  That was YOUR choice.  You could also have bought insurance in this situation.  Yeah, shit happens...deal with it and stop whining like a baby.  I'm not a fan of Delta, but in this situation they are doing the right thing."


3 comments:

  1. Oh no!! So bummed about your cancelled trip and about your crummy experience. The other Yelper didn't need to be so harsh. I agree, he is an ass.
    I understand rules are rules, but you bring up a very good point about not flying with the flu. They would end up with a plane full of very angry customers if they knew you were flying with the flu and infecting everyone because Delta charges a change fee so high that it makes it almost impossible not to go. Boooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second (third?) you and Mary. It would have made the news if you and delta had willingly done this and infected an entire plane just to save your flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your doctor go through with writing the note?

    ReplyDelete